at AQ in Japan: Tokyo
What you’ll do
At AQ, you will help people find meaning, utility and joy in our websites and applications. People will love and remember the things you make because they helped them discover something new in the world around them or accomplish something they never thought possible.
All about You
- You’re equally comfortable defining what something looks like, how it behaves, and what it can do for people.
- Your design process starts with hunches, but thrives on real world feedback. You observe user behavior and translate it into the next round of design.
- Your work speaks for itself, but you love explaining it to anyone who will listen.
- You have at least two years professional experience designing interfaces OR have invented and launched your own web service/tool/app.
- You have a set of design tools with which you can efficiently perform daily acts of beauty, but are open to learning new ones as well.
- You’re a native speaker of either Japanese or English, and can communicate in the other.
- We start with an initial three month full-time contract, after which you’ll become eligible for full-time employment.
- Salary will be determined based on your skill and experience.
- All the magic happens at our sunny office in Nishi-Azabu, Tokyo (accessible via Omotesando and Roppongi stations).
Working at AQ
- We set the course together. Everyone has a say on what ideas to investigate, which projects to take on, and who we work with.
- We work together. We don’t have many meetings, but we do a lot of designing, writing and building together, usually in groups of two or three.
- We like to share. The book we’re reading, the apps we’re using, the event we attended, people we met and things we learned. We’re rarely left wanting for something to talk about.
- We like to eat. Exotic snacks seem to always be around and a topic of conversation. Some of our best conversations and ideas happen over lunch.
- We leave the door open. We get a lot of guests: developers, artists, designers, writers, clients, researchers, teachers, and relatives.
- We work with great people around the world. This means a bit of travel and a lot of Skype to the US, UK, Holland, China and Australia.
A few things we’re working on right now
- The Japanese launch of a running app (web and iOS)
- The redesign of a translation app (web and mobile)
- Advising Tokyo start ups on user experience design
- The next issue of the Tokyo Art Map
- A few articles about UI, microcopy and translation
How to Apply
Send us everything we need to know. We prefer URLs to PDFs.